Friday, April 25, 2014

Final reflections

Personally, my perception of US sports before I took this class havent changed much. Being an avid sports fan, I personally feel like I have a fairly good idea of what is going on within the sports world and have a grasp of what sports mean to people around the country. The biggest thing that ive learned throughout this semester regarding sports culture is how often people compare violence to sports. Before taking this class, I never sat down and actually thought about the role violence plays within sports and how similar they are to one another. The discussion/topic that stood out to me the most throughout the semester was the discussion we had on disabled athletes. Two years ago my brother experienced a fatal accident and ended up loosing both his legs below the knee. Before the accident he was an avid athlete, so i really enjoyed learning how other people view disabled athletes and what sports are available for them to participate in. After taking this class, I do believe that i will start to ask/think about more critical questions within the US sports world because this class presented a wide variety of topics that I never associated with  in terms of sports. I believe I will be able to use alot of the skills I learned throughout this semester. The biggest skill that I can see my self using in the future is my listening skills. Throughout this semester, we got to hear a lot about sports and how differently they impact others and what others opinions of them are. Overall, I would highly recommend this class to a friend because it is unlike any other class that I have taken at CU. I mean seriously who doesnt enjoy learning about sports especially if your an avid sports fan like myself. This class was something I truly enjoyed being apart of and look forward to recommending it for friends to take in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment